Sunday, March 22, 2009

Unmarried


After 22 years of marriage, I checked out of it at 2:15 in court room 2A a year ago this week. Just like that. No witnesses, no cake, no white dress...hell I didn't even get an ex-bridal shower - and I could have used some new bath towels.

I thought about how I stood there alone, just another number. I even laughed at myself a bit as I wondered, "what does one wear to a divorce?" Is it come-as-you-are event? Or do I treat myself to red lipstick and a new wrap dress?

It took all of 3 seconds to erase two decades.

But then I thought about it, I would rather stand alone and take my power back without permission, then start again with the three entities I got married with. All three of us standing at the alter tying our lives together.

Me, him and his secret.

Perhaps power is letting go of the grip of the past and standing empty handed facing the future with someone you love.

You know who you are.....

No comments: